"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Troubadour On A Treadmill!


I ran my performance at Beilys past my, ‘Comedy Pro Evaluator’, last night, and, ...ain’t it ironic; finally get a business card made, only to have my nose rubbed in the fact that, really, I have no business in this business! Comic life just ain’t for the feeble hearted!

My, ‘PAR’ score for Monday’s show was a paltry ‘12’, which means seven seconds of laughter per minute for nine minutes and thirty two seconds, ..."Ouch"! But, it was new, unrefined material, and, under the new show schedule, (ten minutes fresh material each week), it won’t be the last score in that low rent neighbourhood! It just means we’ll all have to work harder, faster & funnier; really, that’s just how it should be.

I loved reading about the old timers; how they could put together ten minutes material, and, in vaudeville, perform that ten minutes three times a day, for five years, improving it gradually, until they had a real act. Such ain’t the luxury a comic finds now-a-days. Troubadour on a treadmill, would be a more accurate picture.

I have put together ten or twelve minutes of material for, ‘Refuse to Sit Down’, this evening. I’ll do something I’ve not done before; that is, take a set list on stage with me, and, just hope that I don’t have to refer to it, (times too short to be working without a note!). Then, revise it, and work it over the weekend, and see how it turns out on Monday. Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment