"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chained & Unchained Comedy!


What the Fook! Interesting night at Beily’s; ran into the incomparable, Jim Fooks! Jim is back from his second home, or at least, half way back! He’s currently putting in his time in a half way house. Jim is hilarious in bars; a true comic! I’ve met, through my job, people who have done time with him in jail, and they insist that he’s just as funny behind bars! I told him that, while I’ve seen several captive audiences, ...it’s not often I see a captive comic!

I was second up last night, after Mr. Fooks, and regret to say that I left immediately after! I did new material, nearly new material, and all of it was new to Beily’s. I ran it past my, ‘Comedy Evaluator Pro, and was pleased with the results ...for new material. I had taken the Master’s advice, and addressed the issue of my rate of speech:

“People keep telling me I talk slow,
Like a Stroke victem!
They’re right!
I make a point of never talking,
Faster than I think!
I do everything slow!
I won’t even eat fast food!
I like Esgarot!
...But, ...they do,
Make me sluggish!
My old man taught me.
To think before I spoke!
He was a farmer,
Ex army & ex cop!
You did not talk back!
...A second time!”

Weak material, but more than satisfactory audience response, ...at least, to my ear.



I had really wanted to see Sir Lot’s O’ Laughs headliner, but, I was suffering a bad case of, ‘Return to Day Job Blues’. Man! What a day! I got to spend 10 hours swinging a pick at rocks imbedded in road bed; that’s no joke. What makes it worse is that I have to leave for work at 6:00 in the morning. So, if I’m to hold my job, and hit my goal of attending both Beily’s & ‘Refuse to Sit Down’, each week, I just can’t stay out late. I’ve never responded well to discipline, but, I need the ‘stage time’; my diabetes really needs adequate rest, and, just now, can’t do without the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment