"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Low Talkin' & Slow Walkin'!


Good show in Clavet last night; didn’t know what to expect, I’d never been. I’d met a fellow from Clavet once, and worked with him; great guy and good worker. Part of my duties at my day job involve picking up volunteers for community service work. We pay them $5.00 per day, and I pick them up at the, ‘Urban Camp’, a minimum security Correctional Institution! That’s where I met J.D., and where I picked him up every morning.

He was doing time for his third conviction of possession of ‘Meth’ for the purpose of trafficking. He told me that he’d used ‘meth’ daily for years. I expressed my surprise, as I’ve seen documentaries on the destructive physical and mental effects of regular ‘Meth’ use. J.D. told me that that was correct information, but only for people who binge on the drug, and go for extended periods of time without either eating or sleeping. No food causes the brain to ‘starve’, an alcoholic can go for extended periods without eating because alcohol contains calories. Sleep deprivation causes the brain to become delusional. When you compound the lack of nutrients with prolonged periods without sleep, physical and mental deterioration are rapid and overwhelming. However, J.D. insisted that, providing you ate regularly, and got sufficient sleep every day, you could take ‘Meth’ every day, and lead a relatively normal, productive life.

He’d told me a great deal about the ‘party’ lifestyle in and around the town of Clavet; and, when I think of it, it’s not that much different from anywhere else. Besides, he was a good worker, and pretty easy to get along with. Still, I found myself wondering just what kind of audience we’d be facing that night!

As it turned out it was a great crowd; smaller than the preceding night, with about 60 people in number. Small but mighty; I quickly found that they were easily entertained, and very enthusiastic in their enjoyment. I’d intended to do the same material as the night before with one small addition, and just a few changes in arrangement. However, it doesn’t take much to rattle me, and I was caught off guard when the Jester introduced me as the first act.

The average age was much younger than the previous evening, so, after a few introductory remarks I began by comparing the different way in which youth and age perceive time:

“Youth and age see time differently!
A young fellow views forever,
As the length of time between when,
You come, and she goes!
I’m fifty, and have been married 20 years,
Which means...
I never come!
And she never goes!"

Great reception, but, after I’d left the stage I was dissatisfied with my presentation; the Master, however, came over and told me that, in his eyes, it was the best I’d ever done! The rest of the show went well, with the Master binding them in a spell for over an hour! When we were done the audience members were so kind that it was hard to tear ourselves away. I went out for a smoke and was swarmed. One young fellow shook my hand and said that he’d enjoyed it so much that he’d have gladly paid $100 to attend. Another thanked me and said that I reminded him of Lewis Black; in my books, a compliment indeed. Another noted that I hadn’t been there the year before, and wondered why. It was all a little overpowering! Finally, a young fellow, pretty girlfriend in tow, came out and announced that he’d enjoyed the show so much that he’d, ‘offered to share his girlfriend with every comic in there!’ I pointed out that, ‘I hadn’t been in there.’ He quickly shook my hand and amended the oversight.

On the way back to ToonTown, the Master laid a few more comments on me, and added one suggestion: “You speak a lot slower than most comics. Everyone notices it. You have to address it, make it part of your act, ...if only so people don’t think that you’re a stroke victim!” I can see his point. During this life I’ve garnered, if nothing else, a variety of nicknames; one, from years back, was, “Slow walking, low talking, James”. The Master never misses a trick, ...so I’ll give this some thought!



I did, over the last few months, take time to work on my elocution and rate of speech, and was pleased with the results of the elocution exercises. On the other hand, I just never did feel comfortable speaking at a quicker rate; it just didn’t feel like me! Unless I take up that ‘Meth’ habit, I think that I’ll just stick to being my, “slow walking, low talking”, self!


No comments:

Post a Comment