"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

...Gone to the Dogs!


I was chatting with my Bride Prior to leaving for Beilys last night, and I switched to my, ‘Mervin the Martian’, voice. It’s just ...that kind of ...relationship! My dog, ‘Claymore’, had been sleeping by the couch; at the sound of this voice, he leapt up, cast me a concerned look, came over to see what was wrong, and, when the voice continued, went and tried to hide behind my Bride! Weird dog! Weirder still ...that’s the same reaction I generally get from audiences! First, startled concern, then ...they look for somewhere to hide!


A good night at Beilys; hardly any difficulty with my ‘blue eyed bouncer buddy,’ tonight he only asked whether my cigarette contained dope? Without stopping, I replied, “I only wish, Buddy.” The master was at his irrepressible, impeccable best; he gave us a quick, professional tutorial on the proper method of MCing an event, then, a great demonstration. It was a learning experience, and I took note/notes.


One little ‘alarm bell’ sounded when the Master announced that management of the bar was insisting that we, none of us, do repeat nights on our material, ...all new ...all the time! I can understand them having that item on their wish list; I’ve often discussed with my Bride that, ‘Refuse to Sit Down’, would draw a much better attendance if it weren’t for so much repetition. I’m as guilty of that as anyone, ...perhaps more so than most. The best of us, the ‘Crown Prince,’ and, ‘Sir Lots-O-Laughs,’ have fairly extensive repertoire; the rest of us may be able to stretch out four or five shows ...and then ...the line up at the mike may shake down considerably. I can write ten minutes material any time, but, if you’re looking for, ‘funny’, material, well ...that takes a little longer. That, in combination with six months of long 50 – 60 hour work weeks stretching ahead of me, leaves little time for extensive preparation.

We had a much improved crowd last night, from a numerical point of view. Our Jester was doing his first headliner and many of his friends came out to support him, including three of his former High School teachers; as he pointed out, ...finally ...a chance for them to heckle him! Our line up last night was much the same as last week, and I’ll just give mention to a few of the highlights.

Sir Lots-O-Laughs gave one of his best sets yet, that I’ve seen; nice and tight, less wordy than on some occasions, and a fairly broad range of topics over the course of his ten minutes, and, very well received. He was telling me last night that he’d secured a position in producing this year’s, ‘Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan’. I don’t often go out of my way for Shakespeare, but, this year I’ll make an exception; my Bride will love it!

The Master introduced me, announcing that it was my third straight time at Beilys; I don’t like to correct the man on stage, but, I began with:

“I’ve appeared here two times straight,
This time’s going to be Gay!”


My material was the same as last Wednesday at Vangelli’s, just a little revamped, with attention to some of the lines which I’d unintentionally omitted then; to give it balance, I spontaneously omitted several others! I got a little ‘Positive Audience response’, and was pleased with the comfort level I felt on stage; no nerves, just a nice, calm, ‘talk in the Park’! They say that ten minutes is too long to stay on one topic ...the audience wearies of it, and, I think that generally, ‘they’, are right, unless ...you possess the personality to carry it! So, I just have to work on that personality thing; a little more dynamic on stage, and really start to work the vocal variety and facial expressions.

When I got off stage the Master commented on my speaking rate;

“He’s not a stroke victim, folks,
He’s from Ontario,
They all talk that way!”

“Ouch!” Just when I was thinking of this, ‘new material every week’ thing, and had decided that my only hope was to slow down and stretch my material to the max. Oh well, ...it was worth a thought.

Our Jester did a great job as the, ‘Headliner’, and kept the crowd in stitches. It was most entertaining to watch the reaction of his former teachers; they seem to very much enjoy it, and, I’m sure, had seen similar before, ...but, an education in itself, I’m certain.

The only other thing that occurs to me is that the Master was telling us how, when he first began, he’d found a mike, stand and speakers which he’d set up in his basement to rehearse with, as well as a spotlight to replicate conditions on stage. I’d been thinking of doing the same, and will begin looking now; somehow it seems more professional than rehearsing with a flashlight as I currently do. If nothing else, it will certainly amuse/annoy the neighbours on warm summer evenings when the windows are open, and people out and about! Oh well, ...they all thought I was nutz before, and, ...it should really freak out Claymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment