"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ox-carts & Buffalo Chips!


I hate being put in a position where I feel that I should be multi-tasking. I don’t multi-task! On good days, I’m thrilled if I can just task! Bad days? Not so much so! Just as I was preparing to begin my little speech contest, I got blindsided by this Alberta road trip. I have to look at both as equally important, and divvy my time up accordingly.

Compared to my target, I did quite poorly last night at the first level of the contest. On the ‘up’ side, the audience didn’t realize just how poor it was, and the judges allowed me to squeak through. Whether man or mouse I’ll settle for a ‘squeak’ at this point! I have to do it again tomorrow night, but, for me, that’s just a practice run; I’ve already got my slot for the next contest level on March 27th. I’ll arrange to do it before an audience again on the 24th; between now and them ...practice. It was kind of nice to be before a crowd, spouting off about ox-carts, buffalo chips, and whether Gabriel Dumont might be called a ‘twit’ because he didn’t ‘Twitter’.



This afternoon I must do a re-write on my material for the Show Case; delete some, put in some new stuff, and re-work it so it is applicable to a Calgary crowd. I wish I could just do one or the other ...but ...it will all get done! I’ll rehearse both tonight and tomorrow, and take my material ‘on the road’ with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment