"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dudes at the Druid!


Edmonton on a Sunday night, and we have an appointment at the ‘Druid’; our Jester is MCing this event. There is, to me, a certain irony in this choice of name for an Irish pub; it’s still all decked out in St. Paddy’s day regalia. What I find ironic is the fact that, if memory serves, the ‘Druids’ were the ‘snakes’ that St. Pat drove out of Ireland ...kind of a conflict of national identity.


Again a great range of comics, some having come from Calgary for the evening, and, of course, some having come from Saskatoon. They have a great stage, but ...a very funny audience set up! Right in front of the stage is a huge Irish fantasy in crystal and mirrors ...the bar. This means that the audience is in booths along the wall to right of stage, and at tables to the left, but really, no one out front! This makes it very difficult to hold the audience’s attention.

The Edmonton comics are a great bunch! They go on stage with great passion and preparation, but, in the unanimous opinion of the ToonTownTroupe, greatly lacking in punch lines! Sir Lot’s O’ Laughs and myself lay claim to the two opening spots; everyone is tired and we want to get our contribution to the evening’s entertainment out of the way quickly.

I get on stage, and can’t believe the constant low rumble of conversation in the audience; I stand there and just look at them for a few seconds ...it don’t go away! So I began, and did a mix of new stuff and part of what I’d done in Calgary the night before. It goes fairly well and I’m more than happy with the response I receive.

Edmonton is a great spot for developing comics; in theory, an open miker has the opportunity to appear on stage 18 times in one week! One fellow does a wickedly witty set of one liners and puns ...great material, but his delivery lacks oomph! Most of the rest have great delivery, but, as mentioned earlier, don’t seem to regard punch lines as a requisite part of their set!

A group of big boys take over the one table that is almost in front of the stage. They appear, to my eye, as body builders. Eventually two of them take a turn each on stage, speaking with passion, and moving with leonine fluidity. I talk to both of them later, and it turns out the one fellow is only on his second appearance on a Stand up stage. I have to ask him;

Do you fellows all work out at the same gym?
I’m not gay...
But ...I’m not blind either!

Turns out they all play football on the same team! All told, a great evening.



We find our accommodations for the night, and I’m taken right back to my University days. The Jester has all four of us booked at a friend’s place; this fellow is finishing his second last year of medical school. We’re all tired and it’s lights out by 1:00 am. I awake at 9:30 while the rest of the house was silent! I slipped out on the balcony to call my bride, and realized that I’d locked myself out. It had been raining when we arrived at the Druid, but had quickly changed to heavy snow. My bride thought this balcony escapade was hilarious, and wouldn’t stop laughing; I just don’t get no sympathy!

I spent about 45 minutes on the balcony before there were signs of life within. Once back inside it didn’t take long to get everybody showered and presentable, and we were off to the West Edmonton Mall, and our final destination, the ‘The Comic Strip’!

No comments:

Post a Comment