"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Thursday, March 4, 2010

...how sweet it is!


John Cantu

My comic guru, John Cantu, of the Holy Zoo, said that, "Your first 20 times on stage ...don't even worry about getting a laugh!" Sound advice in my opinion; he went on to say that, between your 20th and 50th appearances, you should attempt to get a couple laughs every 5 minutes. I took 550 words with me last night ...I blew two lines in the set. I asked our, 'Court Jester' about the consequences of going overtime on the show, as it took me 5 minutes and thirty seconds to go through it without pausing for audience response. He said, "Don't worry about it!" I'd designed my set with three 'break off' points, so I could finish early if time ran out. I was on stage for 8 minutes & 45 seconds ...and each minute felt like I was in the comfort of my own home.

I just finished running my taped set past my comedy evaluation program ...the results? ...no tears in this clown's eyes! A PAR score of 36%, or, an average of 22 seconds of laughter per minute. I didn't win, but I love the smell of laughter in a set! For a shy, bookworm farmboy ...it smells like Victory! Even better, I got a note from, 'Sir Sass O' Toon Town', and in it he said, "You should enjoy the comments of the judges; you already have, what every comedian wants ...you are U-Knee-Que!" I know ...it's only words ...but ...I love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment