"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Saturday, February 20, 2010

...Wood Eye!?!

It’s always nice to have a little change of pace, so, last night I had a chance to give a little talk to a group comprised of bankers, accountants, and business people. It was a very different group than the audience I find at Vangelli’s. It is, ‘Heart and Stroke’, month, and many of these folk either work for, or volunteer their time and talents to, the Heart and Stroke foundation. The theme of the event was, ‘Have a Heart!’ They had another fellow before me, and he gave a lovely, heart warming chat on the difficulties of being a step-father to a teen age step-son. It was titled, of course, “Have a Heart!”


These people know me a little, but still haven’t figured me out. I have to be very careful to never confuse my audience's, nor my material; what flies at Vangelli's would sink me at this type of affair. However, admit it or not, most audiences love just a whiff of brimstone! If you are careful, you can have fun playing with the concept. I’d also decided to address the theme of the event, but, of course, from my own point of view! I was going to address the dilemma faced by the men who explored and mapped this continent; sure, you could always dally with the natives, but, where, could you find a date that you could take home to Mom and Dad!?! My introduction spoke to this issue, though obliquely. It was fascinating to watch the faces of those in the audience as the MC gave them the salient details! Then, she read my title: “Pioneer Passion; Rudimentary Romance for the Rough and Tumble ...With Emphasis on the Rude!” Many of those, “Heart & Stroke”, faces looked as if they were going to have a stroke!

It went quite well; I didn’t have notes, as I’d never written it out. My only regret is that I didn’t remember to take my voice recorder; now I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to write it! I think that I was the most entertained of the evening; just to watch those faces go from looks of anticipated anxiety, to fascination, to being transfixed and mesmerized. All told ...a lot of fun.

While preparing for last night’s gig I was interrupted by the ring of the telephone; it was the, ‘Court Jester.’ He was effusive in his ‘sketchy’ way; “Wednesday all the money was on the Pro. It was the only ‘unpacked’ audience we’ve had! You blew him away!” He went on a little, but that’s more than enough! He informed me that, ‘The Master’ & ‘Sir Lot’s O’ Laughs’, were to appear in Kenniston Saskatchewan tonight, and wondered if I would have time to join them? “Wood Eye?!? ..Wood Eye!?!” When summoned by, ‘The Master’, I hardly have a choice! Saturday night in Kenneston it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment