"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Step by Step ...Obsession!


Yes, it’s Tuesday night and I am obsessing. I did work my material, and did elocution exercises till I can now smile in 7 languages! The problem is, really, that I’m working on too much material simultaneously. I’ve got my set for tomorrow night, but I’ve also got one nearly ready for the next week. Of course I now prefer the more recent material, but, feel I must do this one step at a time.


John Cantu, of the ‘Holy City Zoo’, in San Francisco, claims that your first 100 appearances before an audience don’t count; that the first twenty times you attempt stand-up, you shouldn’t even work for, nor expect, any laughter. I like that philosophy, but it carries with it its own difficulties. I’m in this contest, and it is, really, with the audience voting, mostly a popularity contest. In order to get a slot in the grand finale, I have to place 1st or 2nd one of these next three evenings. So, it’s in my best interests to save my best material as long as possible. I don’t take my audience with me to these events. If I’m lucky, my Bride may come to the last show ...if I make it that far. So, I might get one vote, but, I wouldn’t count on even that! My bride has a mind of her own ...a mind that I admire! Stick with the step-by-step approach; don’t change it now!
-----------------------------
Yawn! Now it’s Wednesday morning. Tonight, because Sunday is Valentine’s Day, my theme is romance ...yeah, I know, “Roses are Red,” but tonight, your boy’s going to be blue! Now I have to change my material! I just read the Globe ...and they made an announcement. This may get me in trouble, but I’ll reference it:

“Patrick White


Globe and Mail Update Published on Tuesday, Feb. 09, 2010 7:22PM EST Last updated on Tuesday, Feb. 09, 2010 11:51PM EST


Paris is for lovers – the Paris of the Prairies, that is.


The online retail giant Amazon.ca has named Saskatoon this country’s most romantic city, placing just ahead of Calgary and Victoria.


It’s a welcome distinction for the Saskatchewan city that is perhaps better known as Canada’s most violent metropolis.


“It makes sense,” says local comedian Dez Reed, father of nine children. “You could cash out at any moment here, so we live our romantic lives to the fullest. What could be more romantic than having your wife standing over you while you bleed out into the snow?”


Now I have to reference that! And the possibilities are endless!

“It’s our passion!

If we ain’t fightin’,

We’re F...F... Foolin’ around!”

So, I’ll put it in, and go with the rest. The last couple times I refered to Shakespeare and ancient Sanscrit; neither topic seemed to take wings, so tonight I’m going to try a little chat on the, ‘Sermon on the Mount’. I know; you can see that on television any Sunday morning! But ...this ain’t Sunday, and ...Vangelli’s ain’t no Cathedral!

Wish me, “Bon Voyage” ...and, “Bon Monologue!”

No comments:

Post a Comment