"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Monday, February 8, 2010

Playing With Fire!





“Those who control their Passions,

Do so because their Passions,

Are weak enough to be Controlled!”

William Blake



On the weekend I overheard the winner from last week’s competition; “I don’t know if I’m good enough to win. I just invited all my friends. It’s the way to go!” I couldn’t agree with him more! Bring ‘em on! A comic needs an audience far more than the audience needs a comic. If the audience is not there, neither will be the facility! I like a packed house ...and I don’t care how it’s packed!

I will admit, though, to feeling a little ill tempered! A comic is not his personality; nor is a comic his material. A comic is a fusion of both. The dross of each must be smelted out early to find that perfect fusion. “A forgery?” you might query. Well, yes, it is, indeed, a forgery. A forging of the resilience of iron with brittle bite of steel! Similar, I would say, to the swords prepared by Japanese metallurgic artisans, for the Samurai. The real secret, I’m told, is in the tempering; and, while a comic weapon can only be tempered before a live audience, you must strike while the iron’s hot.

So, I have out my forge and hammer; my bellows stoking the ancient flames, which “burn eternal, yet give no light”. By Wednesday I should be ready to again quench my blade. Then it’s time to:

Wave off these Magpies of self doubt,

Pecking at my liver,

Shake off these iron shackles,

Head to the Promethian Prom at Vangelli’s,

There to serve the, ‘Master’,

And dance naked in the sun!

(ed. note: Nothin' wrong with bein' crazy ...So long as it don't drive ya' Nuts!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment