"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Raining Fools!


A rain day, in sunny ToonTown; go figure! Took my Bride down to Vangelli’s last night for, ‘Refuse to Sit Down’, and, surprise, surprise, only three comics, and about the same number in the audience! Our Jester pulled the plug at 10:00; there will be no, ‘Refuse to Sit Down’, next week. So Vangelli’s was a washout, and then, this morning, I was rained out at work! On the ‘up’ side, The Parktown is going to do its’ Saturday show, it only remains to be decided whether on a weekly, or monthly basis, as well as having a contract signed by the Jester.


The Crown Prince wants me to go to a monthly Comedy show at a bar in Regina, but, can’t this month as I’m booked in Calgary that day; I’m headlining in a CT scan! But, July should be open on a Friday evening. At the same time, the Prince suggested three places I might give a call to do a slot while I’m in Calgary.


The boys also got the inside scoop on the winner of the Parktown’s Comedy Contest; I’d wondered about Brian. I’d asked him about his previous experience, and he told me that he’d only appeared on a Comedy stage once before, in November; that he’d almost cancelled that appearance because it was on the same day as a funeral of a friend. He went on to say that he’d went on stage in spite of circumstances, and had not had a chance again since then. I congratulated him on his tenacity, remarking that when doing comedy, the important thing is that the comic doesn’t die!



My Bride was talking to him as well, and asked whether he was nervous; he replied that he was, but was trying to overcome it. I was surprised when he took the stage in his unassertive way, and began cracking wiser than a tree full of owls! He remained indisposed at the microphone, but didn’t display the signs of timidity that most do when not experienced on stage. I was much impressed at his ability to just stand there patiently while the audience laughed, (and there was no shortage of laughter), and not step on his own lines; it was most remarkable!

However, the boys put me onto his game; while none of us recognized him, he’s well known to the Master. He’s a retired ‘talking head’ from television, and he’s been doing his ‘schtick’ for years; five years ago he was performing with our own, Jim Fooks! But he doesn’t do regular comedy shows; just goes out for amateur comedy contests, and, according to those that should know, only has about ten minutes material.

This doesn’t ruffle my feathers, but it strikes me curiouser and curiouser that he would go so far out of his way to mislead everyone else in the competition! I might object if he was a professional, but, the definition of professional is murky at best. To my mind a person is a professional only if they are making their entire living by practising their craft. It just seems funny is all, and, ...he was funny!

On the up side, the Jester said I’d placed a close second, which, while not meaning much, has a nice reassuring feel to it, and, Brian is the reigning Fool! My Bride and I were home by 11:00, which is pretty good for a Wednesday night, but, that still leaves me stuck at #36!


No comments:

Post a Comment