"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Friday, June 11, 2010

Charlatan in a Showcase!

Damn! ...could have went to Aberdeen with the boys last night, but didn’t, because I had to work in the morning! And, the long and short of it, ...rained out again! However, I do have, ‘Buds on Broadway’, this coming Wednesday, and don’t have to work the next day; ironic as it sounds when my budgetary ship is awash in ‘rain days’, I’m taking a couple days off to go to Calgary ...Thursday and Friday will probably be the only sunny days next week!


However, ‘Buds’, will be, not an open mike, but, a show case. I read a list of rules for, ‘Show Cases’, in the Oct. 18th, ’09, edition of, ‘Stage Time Magazine’, and will give their list here, with comments by yours facetiously:


7 Things to Avoid When Showcasing

1) Don’t walk on stage and say, “How ya’ll doing?”
This isn’t a social call, ...open strong!

2) Don’t say, “Give it up for the host.”
That is merely, ‘priming the applause pumps’, I don’t care for it in everyday performances, and it has no place in important events.

3) Don’t say, “I don’t know what I’m going to talk about.”
If it’s true, you don’t deserve to be there; if it’s false ...you’re just wasting time ...their's and yours!

4) Avoid first draft jokes.
This is no time for experimenting. Lately I’ve appeared too often with minute upon minute of untried material, and no idea as to how it will go over, and just a notion of how best to present it. This is time for tried and true.

5) Don’t establish yourself through, ‘gathering’. Example; Where’s all the ladies at?”
Don’t care for this personally. Don’t do it. Won’t worry about it.

6) Avoid hack jokes!
Well, 5 out of 6 ain’t bad! I’ll just do the best I can with what God gave me, and what I’ve managed to steal.

7) No crowd work! The industry wants to know who you are, not where the audience is from.
I don’t do ‘crowd work’ myself, though I’m first to admit that I need to work on it. For large audiences it is not necessary, to my mind. However, it has it’s place, or, even, is essential to work with small groups, to establish a bond before beginning your prepared material.



5 Things to Do On a Showcase

1) Be prepared.
Good advice any time, but, especially when you aim to please!

2) Kill from start to finish.
Consistent material is essential. Some of your stuff is weaker than others ...put it in the middle! Your best should go at the end, and your second best should lead!

3) Start with a strong opening.
Yes! Your second best material here; if you don’t catch ‘em off the hop, you may not catch ‘em at all!

4) Your base should be an extension of your opening.
Yes! Everything should lead and build to your close.

5) Your closing should be strong and wrap up your set.
Can’t add anything to that but my agreement!

See? Simple really, when you get right down to it! That’s what I’ll be doing for the next couple days, ...getting down to it! I’ll try to have it completely prepared and rehearsed this weekend, then, if I actually work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I’ll be able to just go over it a couple times to refresh myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment