"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Buds & Floods!

38 down and 62 to go! It was a good night, Thursday, for the, ‘Great Plains Comedy Festival’, at Buds on Broadway. There were well over one hundred people in attendance, and, it almost seemed at times, nearly that many comics! The show started about 10:00 pm and continued ‘til, I believe, 1:30.


It was a funny room, divided into two, with the audience on the bigger side, and the comics all congregated on the small side. Our view was obstructed, and a couple of the acts I found it difficult to hear. I’d worked all day, and felt rather like a dinosaur compared to all the young fresh faces.


‘Buds’, is an old building, a blues bar, with a neat little stage and miniscule dance floor up front. The crowd was interesting, composed of a wide and varied swath of Saskatoon’s finest. But, I have to admit that they were a great audience, and I managed to get through 8 minutes and 52 seconds of material with fairly enthusiastic response.

Didn’t get to listen to my taped set ‘til this morning, and, as per usual, I’m not happy with my delivery. On the other hand the numbers were good with a Positive Audience Response score of 32, which breaks down to 19 seconds of laughter per minute. I’ll take that, thank you, and work towards a better set next year.

Afterwards I managed to catch the sets of both Lars Callieou, and Tommy Savitt, but, as midnight approached I headed back to Kinley. My Bride and I had to head to Calgary in the morning for a little photo-op at the Foothills University Hospital.

It never ceases to amaze me what a Fool can swallow! On Thursday, with the aid of a, ‘gag reflex inhibitor’, I managed to swallow, not just a video camera, but a floodlight as well! I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere, but ...I won’t go looking for it! My Bride had made reservations for Friday and Saturday night for us at a camp ground in Maple Creek, one of our favourite Saskatchewan destinations. Seeing that my appointment with the CT scan on Friday might leave us running late, my Bride called the camp ground to let them know that we might not arrive till late at night.


A tearful proprietor informed her that we had no reservations! My Bride began to argue the point, but was interrupted by the proprietor who informed us that she had 15 RV’s floating, and a similar number sunken beneath the deluge they received on Thursday! The only way we could use our reserved site was if we were to use scuba gear! An intriguing possibility, but one that really inhibits the probability of a nice campfire!


We decided to head down to Medicine Hat in spite of the flooding, just to see what was going on. Listening to the radio on the way we were updated on the drowning of thousands of ‘Centrosaurus’s’, about 80 kilometres north of Medicine Hat, some 63 million years ago. 63 million years of flooding is, indeed, a recurrent theme!

Upon our arrival in Medicine Hat we found it, surprise, surprise ... raining! We also found the Trans Canada Highway closed! We managed to find a camp site, but had to bail when my Bride spied a neighbouring camper openly taking a piss in front of his truck! Not just, to her eye, a breach of camp etiquette, but, in view of the torrential rain, a breach of flood etiquette.


We found another camp ground where the residents’ ‘potty’ habits were closer to my Brides’ delicate tastes! Saturday morning started sunny, but the forecast said that the water would break before noon; fifty two years previous my mother’s water broke, so, Bride and I decided to abandon ship and return to Kinley to celebrate my birthday with a Ken Burnes movie marathon on the settling of the West. So far two DVDs down, and three remaining to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment