"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

...Bouncing Fool!

Twenty-six down, seventy-four to go! It was the second Comedy night at Beily’s; the turnout was better ...perhaps twice what we had the first night. Monday nights are a hard sell anywhere; people are broke and burnt out from the weekend. However, much the same crowd as at Vangelli’s; young and, for the most part, enthusiastic!

I really don’t like the layout in this place; it’s huge with people sitting at tables along the wall behind you, and a huge dance floor immediately in front of the stage, all of which makes it hard to connect with the audience. The ‘mike’ is corded, so you can’t really wander about the dance floor, and, even if you could, with the numbers we’ve been getting, it would be like waltzing about an empty barn! There weren’t many more people at Diva’s the other night, but, their reaction was hugely different, and I believe it was because of the layout. Beyond that, with a couple exceptions, it’s a nice club.

Something I’ve never experienced before, ...annoying security! Their bouncer seems, I’d say sub-cretinous, but that would be doing a disservice to both cretins and subs. Big burly chap, with the emphasis on ‘Big’, and I think that he is just trying to display his own comedic talents while at the same time trying to impress the young lady on the till, but it gets annoying. Just small things; insisting on checking my id each time I enter ...and each time I leave, and, the first night I was there, insisting I get a mark on the back of my hand ...which is fine, except I noticed that no one else had to do it. Last night was more of the same, but this time he wanted to check my cigarettes for drugs, and was insisting that I couldn’t leave until I’d performed on stage, (I’d already been ...and he knew it!). In both the latter cases I just ignored him and went about my business. That however will probably just mean that next time it will accelerate.

Life’s too short to be dealing with assholes; however, the situation will not remain static, it will either get better or worse, and, left to his devices, it ain’t going to get better. Give a little mind a little power...

No comments:

Post a Comment