"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Shakiest Clown in ToonTown!


It’s been a good news/bad news kinda’ week. Good news is that on April 19th we have a new comedy venue starting up in Saskatoon. That is a Laff Trax Comedy Theatre night at Beily’s on 8th street. It is billed as a Pro-am event which will host well known comedians as well as local amateurs. That should be good ...a chance to be on a comedy stage twice a week.

The other good news is that I heard I have a spot in the Great Plains Comedy Festival this year. This event is again run by Laff Trax Comedy Theatre, and runs the week up to and including June 19th. So I have quite a bit to look forward to in the next couple of months.

Bad news is ...I chickened out last night! I had intended to go to ‘Refuse to Sit Down’, so I went in to ToonTown and attended Toastmasters. I gave a presentation there concerning how, since I was a kid I’d suffered from what was then termed ‘shyness’, and more recently as ‘low self esteem’, but what I call Social Retardation! I talked about how it had affected me in public school, high school and university; really my entire life, and never showed any improvement until I began taking steps to correct the problem at about the age of thirty!

It went over well, and people were not only surprised by the admission, but seemed entertained by it as too. I left at 9:00 with full intentions of proceeding to Vangelli’s, started out in that direction, but, about half way there the wind went out of my sails! That’s odd for a fellow who tends to be long winded! Confession is supposed to be good for the soul, but it certainly didn’t do much for my spine. I was tired and I wasn’t entirely happy with my prepared material for the evening, but ...I’m generally tired, and, as a rule, never happy with my material. It certainly wasn’t stage fright, but, I just decided to grab a cup of coffee and high tail it for Kinley. I won’t worry about it just this once, but ...I can’t let it become a trend!



There are too many real things in the world to be frightened of; I’ve been following the adventures of comedian Lars Callieou on tour in Iraq, (see link below), and was fascinated by his tales of ‘Sand Spiders’. Now that’s frightening! Just imagine ...you’re in a foreign desert, 35 – 40 degrees Celsius, have to worry about IED’s, bullets and rocket propelled grenades, then, just to top it all off, Sand Spiders! When you see that you realize that we have very little to quibble about at home here in Canada.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/notes/lars-callieou/iraq-daily-blog-day-7-babylon-and-a-mackie/10150157306955647



"In the Middle East, it is widely rumored among American and coalition military forces stationed there that Solifugae will feed on living human flesh. The story goes that the creature will inject some anaesthetizing venom into the exposed skin of its sleeping victim, then feed voraciously, leaving the victim to awaken with a gaping wound. Solifugae, however, do not produce such an anaesthetic, and they do not attack prey larger than themselves unless threatened. Other stories include tales of them leaping into the air, disemboweling camels, screaming, and running alongside moving humvees; all of these tales are dubious at best. Due to their bizarre appearance many people are startled or even afraid of them. This fear was sufficient to drive a family from their home when one was discovered in a soldier's house in Colchester, England.[5] The greatest threat they pose to humans, however, is their bite in self-defense when one tries to handle them. There is essentially no chance of death directly caused by the bite, but, due to the strong muscles of their chelicerae, they can produce a proportionately large, ragged wound that is prone to infection.”

No comments:

Post a Comment