"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Friday, April 30, 2010

Flog That Fool !




I’ve had to give much thought to my appearance at ‘Divas’ last week; my first set went so well, and my second set went so flat. I think I have it figured out. I’d intended to do ‘street’ jokes, as I anticipated that would be what everyone else was doing. When my pals began with their own material I figured, ‘well ...why not?’ In my first set I did stock material, which is just me whining about the irony of an aging process that takes a perfectly fine body and, gradually ...makes a mockery of it. It works well in regular situations, because everyone can identify with it, ...if, (in the case of young people), only by the process of observation. It may work particularly well in a gay bar, where, because of the lifestyle, gay men are especially sensitive to the process. Also the fact that, if you stop and think about it, I’m making fun of yours truly!



"When Comic Worlds Collide"

For my second set I was a little shaken by my conversation across a porcelain urinal. I decided to go with my S&M bit at the last minute, because ...I was dressed for it, and ...well, ...I do think its funny. Two mistakes here; I’d never done it as standalone material, I’ve always bracketed it between really funny stuff, and much of the laughter received before a regular audience may be just of a residual type.

The second mistake may have been the fatal one. I don’t get S&M, so I do find it funny. Originally I put the material together because I had some funny puns and expressions that wouldn’t work anywhere else. In the original draft I described putting my bride in the “S” position, and taking her through the entire procedure. However, prior to doing it in front of an audience, I said, “Stop! I can’t do this ...it’s something I’d never do to my wife, or, for that matter, anyone else! (Well, ...with the exception of a couple boss’s I’ve had! They were ‘Slave drivers’, and ...well ...a man can dream!) So, in the final stage version, I had to admit that I couldn’t go through with such a thing ...a confession which might be termed ... ‘anti-climactic’.

Now, in Divas S&M may have greater acceptance than in a regular bar; while there I did hear references, (on stage), to ‘safety words’, which is ‘lifestyle’ terminology. So ...in hindsight, I see now that I could have been perceived to be ‘mocking’ the lifestyle ...which was not my intent, but, even if it was, would certainly have drained off any humorous connotation in the eyes of the audience.

So, gently chide myself, and see that I don’t make similar mistakes/misjudgements in the future. Cause for foolish self flagellation? I don’t think so, but ...it’s a damn’d poor fool who can’t learn from a mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment