"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Genisis of a Comic! (But No Comic Genious !)


When I arrived in Saskatoon there were no ‘Open Mikes’ in all of Saskatchewan. In February of this year an enterprising fellow started one at ‘Vangeli’s Tavern’ on Broadway. I went out, for fun, and gave it a try. I didn’t do well, but I did have fun. I think I went out 6 times, without any prepared material, before it was time to return to work, (In my dictionary, “Stand-up Comic”, is, I believe, a synonym for, ‘unemployed’). The “Refuse To Sit Down” comedy night at Vangeli’s was a success, and they extended their original ten week run to a weekly year round event. The long hours of construction work gave me no time to prepare material, and made it difficult to attend.


In November I became again a stand-up comic, (see synonym definition above), so, in December I made a re-appearance at Vangeli’s. Now I feel I have a feeble grasp of the Art/Craft of Stand-up Comedy, and the onus is on me to produce material, and then, get out there and perform it. So far, I have appeared on stage at Vangeli’s 3 times this year, the 3rd being last night. In this Blog I will attempt to keep you posted on my progress/misadventures as I see how the year unfolds. I wrote up a couple of articles on my thoughts on last year’s experience, and I will include them.

No comments:

Post a Comment