"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Thursday, December 16, 2010

No Fool Like a Snow Fool!

Took a little 1800 mile jaunt to Toronto, Ontario, last weekend, or, as the locals in Saskatchewan refer to it, ‘the center of the universe’, and they don’t mean that in an admiring way! Thirty miles of driving each way just don’t leave much time for an extended social call. The roads through Northern Ontario can be difficult this time of year, and, while we were there, areas surrounding Toronto got six feet of snow! That has the look of the winters I knew as a kid, and haven’t seen in years! It’s enough to frost your pumpkins.


We took my van and saved on hotel bills by sleeping in it and preparing most of our meals. Not as bad as it sounds; my van has a king size bed, a kitchen, furnace and washroom facilities! No snow tires though, and that would be something I’d think of for next time. We had to stop four hours early one day on the way there; it was four-thirty in the afternoon and we got hit by freezing rain. When we saw more vehicles in the ditch than on the highway than on the road we knew it was time to camp for the evening!


Our first roadside sleepover the temperature hit -30 C, with a wind chill of -37. Inside our RoadTrek we were comfortable, even to the point of turning off the furnace when we crawled under our pile of comforters. My Bride and Damn’d Dimwit Terror travelled ‘Doggie Style’, by which I mean, I’d start driving about 7:00 am, and they’d stay in bed ‘til about noon.

Ontario was much like it was two years ago when I was last there, except they had more snow and less employment. I had intended to break away from friends and family evenings and hit a few comedy clubs, but, that turned out to be easier said than done. So, now I’m back home, it’s time to get my nose back to the comedy grindstone!


No comments:

Post a Comment