"Abandon Hype All Ye Who Enter Here!"

Steppenwolf

"Eternity is a mere moment; just long enough for a joke!"

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Foolish Resolution!

A slow week in Saskatoon comedy wise; the Master tried to generate enthusiasm For a ‘clean’ comedy show on Boxing day, but, everybody is too caught up in the Holidays to respond on such short notice. So, there will be two venues available to me this coming week: Beily’s on Monday, and, the Fez on Tuesday. Beily’s has been pulling a small crowd every night, (it would be a ‘big crowd’ in a smaller room.), and I have no way of predicting how attendance will be at he Fez.


I began this venture by saying that I would do stand-up one hundred times, and I have apx. fifty appearances to go. I have no doubt in my mind that I’ll be able to get them in between now and June, still ...I find myself champing at the bit. However, “Be it resolved that this Fool will do fifty more appearances A.Q.A.P!

It will be interesting to see how the Fez pulls through; the facility is acceptable, but you really need people in the audience to make things work, and I don’t know if they can draw the people. For the sake of Myles, and, of course ....myself, I hope that it works.

On the possibility that the Fez does not work out, I do have a back-up plan, one that might get me a little more stage time. I have been talking to the management of a bar, and they are willing to have a comedy night under the auspices of yours’ truly. It has a far better set up than the Fez, and isn’t as cavernous as Beily’s.

But, I must bide my time, as it is right across the street from Myles’ new room at the Fez. I don’t want to be in competition with other comedians for crowds at this time; I’d far rather see Myles do well than two have both ventures wallow into irrelevance! Just as important as the crowds, are the comics, ...we don’t really have enough in Saskatoon to form two separate markets; theirs barely enough talent to see one venue stay fresh and interesting. I don’t include Beily’s in my calculations as it is at a different area of town, and draws a different audience.

We have 250,000 people living in Saskatoon, you’d really think that we could keep two places going on a weekly basis. I don’t count the Parktown, as it is primarily pros, and they go to a different town every week, ...they also have a dedicated following that comes back week after week.

The worst that can happen is that I end up with two venues per week, and, realistically, that’s a big improvement over last year. The best? Well, I could end up hosting my own room! That, although bringing a host of new problems, would be great. Ah well, ...a Fool can dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment